WELCOME TO THE NOSURF COMMUNITY! - Introduce Yourself!

Hey, I’m Dave.

Where are you located?

• Recently moved to Montana from the northeast.

What do you want to improve about your internet use?

• I want to replace internet time (and more generally consumption) with useful and creative activities.

What are your goals for the next year?

• Long term travel
  • Spend more time being bored.
  • Find ways to implement deep work habits into my daily routine.

What are you most excited about in terms of our growing community?
As a long time lurker, I’m looking forward to participating in a discussion forum. Always been a bit hesitant to share about myself online, but I think my interest in the subject will open me up to sharing my thoughts and experiences.

Welcome Dave! Montana is definitely the right place to go for nosurf, I hear it’s beautiful there. How do you like it so far?

►Who are you?; Where are you located?
My name is Ole, I’m 17 and live in Germany. I like science, anime and reading books.

►What do you want to improve about your internet use?
Over the last 8 years I developed a bad habit: watching too much youtube videos. Since I noticed that it was taking over my life around 1 year ago, I was able to control myself but sometimes I just can’t hold back. That is definitely one of the things I’m trying to improve!

►What are your goals for the next year?
Due to my passion in science -and in particular physics- my goal is to my best in school this year so that I can study physics at a good uni in Germany (or maybe overseas).

►What are you most excited about in terms of our growing community?
I’m the type of person who always tries to have a positive mindset about life and the future (I think) and I’m excited about meeting people who have the same mindset!

Hey Ole welcome to the community! :grinning:

Hey everyone, I’m Blue, and I’m a university student from Australia.

What I want to improve about my internet use:

• I spend upwards of 3-4 hours on the internet each day, and 95% of that is probably useless memes and random posts that I can’t remember, so I want to cut down on a lot on that and ideally remove reddit from my daily routine. It’s down a lot from the 6-8 hours I was spending on the internet last year, but I’ve still got a lot of room for improvement. I also want to detach myself from all the political news at the moment (and that’s been going on since the 2016 election haha), because it just stokes a lot of negative emotions and I have zero control over any of it and it doesn’t really affect me in any real way.
  • I want to use the internet as a tool, as opposed to an escape from boredom or feelings of stress and loneliness, and hopefully overcome my internet addiction.

My goals for the next year:

• I want to find an internship after my current one ends, and I want to take my degree more seriously and study harder to improve my grades.
  • Spend more time with friends and develop actual hobbies.
  • Start reading again and get into daily meditation.

• Having this community seems like an amazing way to help each other find ways to overcome internet addiction and motivate each other!

Hi! My name is Katie and I live in Idaho. Moved here 4 years ago from San Diego.

What I want to improve about my internet use:
I don’t want to use social media, surfing the web as a way to escape boredom, anxiety, stress etc (which happens at least 4 hours a day+ according to my phone use app)

My goals for next year:
Get out of debt and finally start my Amazon business then grow from there.

What I’m most excited about with this community:
I’m honestly excited not to be alone in the pursuit of living a less “zombie” lifestyle. Most people think I am overreacting about phone usage and that I am just fine…probably because most people do live in this zombie state. I want out. :slight_smile:

Welcome to you both :grinning: (btw good to see you again Katie hahah)

Welcome you two! Please consider keeping us up to date how things are going for you in our community journal.

Hi Katie! Depending on where you live in Idaho, I’m your neighbor! (Washingtonian here.)

Hi I’m Sara. I’m 30 years old and in a masters program for social work.

Where are you located?

Massachusetts

What do you want to improve about your internet use?

I want to make sure to shut the internet off from 9pm (2 hours before bed) and 1 hour after I wake up. I have an app to shut off the internet, but need to get better at using it during this time.

I also need to make sure that I am able to avoid internet politics as much as possible for the next year and a half. I’m really concerned about the state of politics today, and I want to get involved in a positive way, but I do not have the time while I’m in grad school. I oftentimes will get sucked into a hole and just watch endless political youtube videos, or check the poll sites constantly, or worst of all reading twitter feeds and comments. These things do nothing positive for me and only make me awful about myself and the world. I’d like to help to change things, but I don’t realistically have the time right now and my addiction to internet politics could make me lose everything I’ve worked so hard to get.

It also prevents me from doing my other hobbies that actually make me feel better and help me recharge.

What are your goals for the next year?
Pass all of my classes.
Continue to learn spanish
Work on my creative writing/finish my novel.
Get outside more and participate in more local events.
Take better care of health and mental health through exercise, sleep hygiene, meditation, and healthy eating.

The fact that I’m not alone and more and more people are recognizing that the way we use the internet is hurting us and that there is a better way to live.

Hi all, I´m Peter, 25 years old and live in Utrecht, The Netherlands!

I Just found the subreddit half an hour ago. I stumbled upon a edited comment that said r/nosurf. I had been looking for a subreddit like that in the past, but could never find it. From there I read the manifesto and some other posts and ended up on this site.

1. Improvements about my internet usage
    At the moment is spend up to 6 hours a day on the internet and video games. Especially on days where I have little other things to do or attend. Because of this my study is suffering aswell. I want to cut down on both, and reduce them to an hour a day at most.

2. Goals for the next year
    My goals for the next year are reducing my internet usage, figure out whether I want to finish my master or change subject, or do something different all together. Besides that I want to start bouldering, build up a more consistent running schedule and get a new job.

3. Community
    As far as the community goes, I really liked reading other posts on this blog, and the supportive atmosphere. I hope to contribute to that as well in the future. I would also like to support others in their journey and get to know them better. I could also use some support myself, and it seems this is the right place.

If you want to know more about me, feel free to ask.!

Hi Sara welcome to NoSurf :slight_smile:

Hello Peter welcome to the community! @Wouter is also from the Netherlands!

I live in Boise! are you near coeur d’alene?