Wow, so the mods decided to do this really exceptional thing and let me post here again after I basically tried to destroy all their dreams because I was sad. You’re clearly all in good hands since they’ve actually agreed to let me post again after all that.
Anyways, I know stuff and like to share the stuff that I know so that’s why I’ve asked to return.
This won’t be a progress journal since progress for me is kind of slow at this point. I’ve also pretty much reached the point in my progress where I wanted to be so there’s not much left to progress towards at this point. I want this journal to be more thought focussed.
At the moment this is how my life with technology looks like:
- I can predict binges or the onset of overconsumption. I simply turn off my device when I notice it’s going to happen. I’ll come back in at least 10 minutes (often much longer). When I come back, I’ll usually be able to use the device as I had intended to. I’ll repeat the process if needed.
- I try to plan what I’m going to do with my laptop/phone as much as possible. When I have a plan, I’m more likely to stay on track.
- I don’t (intentionally) use any social media for fun at this point. I just can’t trust myself to be responsible when I use it for “fun”. When I have other reasons to use it, I try to download the content in some way, so that I don’t have to consume the content in an ecosystem which I know is designed for overconsumption.
- I prefer print material over digital material almost always. Something about it just feels better to me.
- I know what mental states usually inspire me to want to seek comfort in technology and I’m training myself to choose healthier (and equally effective) options instead.
- I still automatically type urls like
youtube.comwhen I open the browser even though I don’t enjoy those things anymore. I’m trying to train myself to stop typing them by finishing the url with a different word. So,
you hutand so on and so forth. Then I hit ENTER as usual. We’ll see how that goes…
- And most importantly, I’m happy with the new relationship I’ve created with technology since now I have more time for the things that really matter to me.
I don’t know how often I will post in this journal.