Greetings

Hey, I’m Max from Austria and almost exactly one year ago, I’ve been seeing the effects my internet addiction had on me for the first time for real.

Back then I was more heavily invested in Buddhist philosophy (still am kinda), but besides some meditation, there has always been this big chunk of internet addiction in my life since the age of 12 or so. I’m a pretty anxious person in general, so the Internet gave me some sort of security, some place to turn to when I got bullied in school for two years.

Last year in May, I found NoSurf and I made an effort to shorten the time I spend on the Internet. I’ve read 44 books last year, but I’m still nowhere near where I want to be. After I finish school, I’ll be a paramedic for 8 months (you have to choose between some social service or the military as a guy here) and then I want to go to university. So I’m in the middle of a period of transition and I would like to turn my life into the right direction again.

Right now, I’m in the middle of learning for my A level exams, so my willpower for stuff is pretty low. I got back to surfing the net and playing GTA Online for hours. But I still get my learning done pretty well and I can prioritise it. At the end of the day, I haven’t got much energy left than to play GTA or watch some videos, though. When opportunites to meet with friends arise I use them, which leads me to my next bigger problem. My social circle consists of a few people which I don’t see very often. I would like to have some people to call for spending time together on the weekends.

My interests right now are playing games, listening to music, going to the gym, reading books (mostly on psychology, Buddhism, philosophy, self-imrpovement and lately neuroscience) and playing the viola. I’ve tried some things over the years like photography or Karate, but they never really stuck with me.

I hope you could get to know me a little bit better, although I consume tons of content in English, I have trouble writing about myself in English. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Max! Your english is actually really good, better than most Americans :p. Congrats on the 44 books last year that’s really impressive. I would like to start the 52 books/year challenge on here because we have a lot of people who love to read. I’m also into Buddhism so maybe we can chat about it sometime.

I know it seems like you have no energy at the end of the day but a lot of that is actually arising due to the fact that your brain knows that an easy path exists. Just from my experience if you eliminate the choices, your brain will be forced to adapt to the different energy levels required for another activity. I know it seems hard right now but just entertain the idea that maybe you should also cut out GTA/vids for a bit. I really think it’ll provide the impetus you need for seeking out new friends/building a social circle when you eliminate other sources of entertainment.

Anyways welcome to the forum man.