Goal: to live a more fulfilling lifestyle

Day 1. Dec 4th 2019

Spent the past few weeks from 2pm to 2am on my phone browsing the internet. Legs are cramped and my knees hurt from sitting on my folded legs too much. Sometimes I get too lazy to brush my teeth and take care of myself. I don’t spend time with my siblings at all and I feel like the more time I spend on social media, the more I value other people’s lives over mine. I have so much too do but I felt so anxious about it I decided to escape to the internet instead. Discovered the r/nosurf subreddit today and took it as a sign to stop this bad habit now, while I have this community available to me.

Steps I’ve taken so far:

• deleted all social media off of my phone
  • deleted photo editing apps (I tend to edit potential photos I want to post on Instagram when I’m bored)
  • made an account here, made a post, reached out to a potential accountability partner

Now, I will:

• get up and eat dinner
  • do what my mom asked me to do for her today
  • enjoy the rest of my evening with activities that doesn’t require the internet: drawing and writing. Relish in the attention I’m giving myself. How aware I feel
  • set goals for myself to achieve tomorrow

Congrats on deleting the apps on your phone! That’s a great first step. If you relapse and reinstall them don’t feel too bad though it happens to everyone.

I would try to shoot for 2 weeks at least before going back, it seems that for most people 2 weeks is the “magic” number for realizing they don’t need social media anymore. For some it might be longer though.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I’ve been on and off social media over the past week - I just have nothing else to do on my phone and I just become curious about how other people’s lives are going! I downloaded some games on my phone, but not sure if that’s the best move away from social media. We’ll see though. One more week to go!!

Update No 2. (January 24th, 2019)

Changed my mind on the daily/weekly updates. Don’t want to overwhelm myself so early in the process. So far, I’ve managed to avoid heavy social media use for two weeks! I actually started checking in every few days, so I figured I needed a break for a few days to use Instagram. However, I thought ahead of myself and set a time limit of only a few days. This morning, I told my friends that I would take another hiatus, this time a month long, so I could focus on my work. :slight_smile: I feel proud of myself! Also, been noticing a change in how often I talk to my friends - when I didn’t use social media as much, I actually kept in contact with my friends more often! Which is ironic, considering one of the main reasons I joined and kept social media so long was to talk to my friends. This is one of the many benefits of quitting social media so far and it’s been a huge motivation for me!

Next goal: read more books. know and tell myself what i’m going to use my phone for before i use it - this will be a technique I use to avoid mindless phone use.

Update No.3

Great improvement in life so far. More separation between social life and work and I’m a lot more happier. Also started a one-month long hiatus from social media.

Here’s a revelation I shared with my friend Saksia on here:

“Social media and similar media activities should be considered “cheap entertainment.” And I mean that both literally and metaphorically.

I think my addiction is starting to point to a larger trend. I work so much that oftentimes I say I don’t have enough time to do something fun but then end up spending hours on the internet that doesn’t add any value to my life. This has also led me to be a less focused and effective worker since I don’t have anything fun to look forward to.

So far, I’ve seen changes not only in my work quality, but also how much my social life has improved. I’ve already hung out with friends 2-3 times this month, which is more I’ve ever done in a year! I also have a more healthy attitude towards work. I’m worth more than my work, and my friends and new lifestyle show me that.”

I’m happy that things are looking better for you. It’s great that you realized that while thinking you don’t have time after work you still found plenty to waste online. I guess this is the way it goes for many of us and it’s very empowering to break free of it and use the freed-up time in different and better ways.

Time really is the most precious thing you have in life and how you spend your 16-18 waking hours a day makes all the difference.

Let us know how your social media hiatus is turning out and if you end up having withdrawal symptoms or not.

Thank you, Horatio, for the encouraging words! :slight_smile: